Whether going on camping, relocating from our current residence or moving stuffs from one place to another,it’s always straight forward and cost free to load our stuffs right on our trailers, hinge them to the back of our vehicles or towing vans and hit the road. This is always not wise because the connection between the towing vehicle and the trailer is always very weak and thus on attempt to take a turn the trailer might sway off the road. Often in this situation weight is not evenly distributed; the weight of the trailer is always concentrated on the tongue (the forward part) of the trailer – this reduces the contact the towing vehicle has on the grounds, thus making it lose steering control and brake control. Tires also wear off consequently. Concentrating your load on the hinder part of the trailer might seem to be a good alternative to preventing this overloading on the tongue of the trailer but in the case where we have a lot of stuff to move, this will not hold. Most people who have driven a trailer connected directly or freely in this manner often have a few moments of hearts pounding when their trailers start to sway and they are worried that they might lose control of the vehicle and sway off the road which can lead to loss of life and damage of properties. Using a weight distribution hitch instead is the sure way to ensure that such disaster does not occur.
What do weight distribution hitches do?
As stated earlier, just hinging your trailer to your vehicle will cause all the weight to be concentrated at the tongue of your trailer. Weight distribution hitches takes that enormous weight centered at the tongue and shares it (that is, distribute it) evenly across the entire axis of your trailer and towing vehicle. This balances the weight on both the trailer and the towing vehicle. As a result, proper contact is made between the towing vehicle and the ground which further establishes proper steering control, brake control and a smooth ride. This eliminates the possibility of swaying off the road which can lead to loss of properties. You should therefore consider getting a weight distribution hitch before your next trip.
What to look out for in a good weight distribution hitch
Getting any hitch, you lay your hands on is not enough, it’s important to get the right hitch for your trailer.Factors including gross trailer weight (GTW) (which is the total weight of your loaded trailer) and tongue weight(TW) (which is the weight at the forward part of the trailer), are the key to consider when trying to purchase a hitch. The TW rating is the most important factor in determining which size of weight distribution system you should use. If the bars of the system you choose are rated too high for your setup, they will create a rigid ride, which can result in a bumping trailer. If, on the other hand, the bars are not rated high enough, the system will be unable to properly distribute the weight, rendering it virtually useless.
In addition to adhering to the loading capacity of your trailer,the hitch must:
- Have bar rating proper for the setup. If too high, it will create a rigid side which can result in a bumping trailer. If on the other hand it’s too low, the system will be unable to distribute the weight properly, making it almost useless.
- Have the proper bar length.
- Have the exact or approximate weight capacity of your trailer.
- Come with the right washers and nuts.
- Be made with the right quality materials to ensure proper functioning and durability.
RV weight distribution hitches review
Like it is in purchasing new stuffs for our homes, getting a new hitch (or a replacement) can be a serious dilemma, we want to get quality and at the same time spend less.
Three products are the best bet when it comes to owning a hitch that will last long and function properly, the products are:
- The Pro Series 49903 Complete Weight Distribution Kit and
- The Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit
Reese 49902 Pro Series review
Reese among the lots of other of their products have come out with one of their best sellers on Amazon; the Reese 49902 pro Series Complete Round Bar Weight Distribution Kit. With a Tongue Weight capacity of over 750 pounds, some of its awesome features include:
- Improved towing and safety tools
- A sway control ball with friction sway control and mounting hardware
- Well fabricated head and welded hitch bar
- Very easy to install and easy to adjust sway.
- Highly suitable for heavy duty application and stabilizes with no occurrence of failure.
The Reese 49902 is so easy to install, even a kid can put it together. Coupled with its ease of installation is the availability of lots of videos on the internet on its maintenance and maximization.
Pro Series 49903 review
The Pro Series 49903 Complete Weight Distribution Kit is another awesome weight distribution hitch you can go for. Backed with manufacturer’s warranty is its unbelievably cheap price. Few of its awesome features include:
- Very easy to install
- Possess perfect sway control even in very high speed
- Fully compatible with heavy gross weight trailers.
- Possesses the longest life span.
- Provides perfect leveling for trailer and towing vehicle
The price and accompanying quality of this product brings it out as one of the best weight distribution hitches.
Eaz-Lift 48058 review
The Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit with a TW rating of 1000 pounds is yet another awesome product. Its outstanding features include:
- Very easy to install.
- Comes with a sway control
- Its high grade bolt and heavily built shank makes its very suitable for heavy duty application.
- Well fit for long distance applications.
These are the best Hitches obtainable in the market. They are readily available on Amazon with excellent after sales services and warranties.